What Is Conjunction?
A conjunction is a word that joins together words, phrases, clauses, or sentences.
حرف عطف ایک ایسا لفظ ہے جو الفاظ یا فقرات کو آپس میں ملاتا ہے ۔
|Ali and Ahmad went to ground.
احمد اور علی گراؤنڈ گئے
|I like burger but I don’t like pizza.
مجھے برگر پسند ہے لیکن پیزا نہیں پسند۔
|Ahmad is late because he missed the buss.
احمد کو دیر ہوگئی کیوں کہ اس کی بس چھوٹ گئی
Types Of Conjunction|حرف عطف کی اقسام؟
A junction that joins together the clauses of the same parts of the speech i.e. adverb-adverb, noun-noun, adjective-adjective.
Example: Ali came to meet me, but I was not at home.
The conjunction that joins a clause to another on which it depends for its full meaning.
Example: Since I was busy, I could not call him up.
Coordinating Conjunction is further divided into the following types.
Cumulative conjunction adds one element to another.
- Ahmad teaches English and Ali teaches Arabic.
Alternative conjunction expresses choices between alternatives.
- He was neither intelligent nor obedient.
- Go out otherwise you will be insulted.
Adversative conjunction expresses the contrast between two statements.
- He is lazy but he is intelligent.
- He was angry still he kept quiet.
Illative Conjunction expresses result.
- Ahmad did not work hard therefore he failed.
- He was a killer therefore he was hanged.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Time expresses the time.
- Ahmad lauhged while he was eating.
- I will do whenever I like it.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Place shows place.
- Go wherever you want.
- Study where people don’t disturb you.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Cause expresses cause or reason.
- Ali worked hard because he wanted to get first position.
- I will help theme beacause I like them.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Result expresses the result.
- He is so good that everybody appreaciates him.
- Shaheen Afridi is so fast that no one can play him.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Purpose indicates the purpose of doing or not doing something.
- We eat so that we may live.
- I made a hotel so that I could earn money.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Manner express the method of happening something.
- I will do it as you like.
- Afridi did not play as we expected.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Comparison expresses the comparison.
- Ali is as intelligent as Ahmad.
- You were as active as we were.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Contrast show the contrast/supposition between two statements.
- Though he is poor, he is sincere.
- Although Ahmad is rich, he is miser.
Subordinating Conjunction Of Condition expresses the condition.
- If they come on time, I will meet them.
- If he work hard, he will pass the exam.
- Correlative conjunctions are used in pairs.
- Either take it or leave it.
- He is neither intelligent nor obedient.
- I both love and respect him.
- We don’t know whether he comes or not.
- Not only he is foolish but also disobedient.
When two or more than two words are used together as conjunction are called compound conjunction.
- He speaks as if were his servant.
- We come here in order that we may learn something.
- I will give you my book provided that you reuturn it.
- I will teach you on condition that you come regularly.
List Of 100 Common Conjunctions
|A minute later
After a short time
As an example
|As a consequence
As a result
As soon as
Because of this
For this purpose
For this reason
From here on
In spite of
In spite of this
|In the end
In the meanwhile
In the meantime
In the same manner
|In the same way
Just as important
Last of all
Of equal importance
|On the contrary
On the following day
On the other hand
The next week
|To be specific
To begin with
To sum up
With this in mind
Leave a Comment